Saturday, October 20, 2007

The only gay headmaster in the village.

J.K. Rowling says that Dumbledore's gay. Fair enough. It's nice to see that Hogwarts is such a progressive institution. Can't help but feel this isn't really going to do much to the right-leaning amongst us who think that the Harry Potter books are a recipe for one's soul burning for all eternity. These people probably also think that a thorough reading of said books will result in depraved children who can open locks with sticks, fly brooms and make their stairs move.

At least you get to hang out with Alan Rickman though, he's pretty badass.

5 comments:

Kate said...

When I read this I kept thinking about all the jokes that went around post-Lord of the Rings about Galdalf and his pointy hat being gay. Funny how things turn out. I wonder how this fictional character feels about being outed?

Daniel Green said...

There's a really great joke in Tim Fergurson's novel "Left, Right and Centre" about Gandalf being gay that predates the films. It's definitely interesting how things play out.

I think it's a gross invasion of the man's privacy, especially since he's [content removed because of spoiler] and can't defend himself. Still, I'm surprised Rita Skeeter didn't dig it up first... But then Harry never really gets that far in the biography.

DS said...

I am also married to Alan Rickman.

Daniel Green said...

Figures.

Kate said...

I'm more of a Gary Oldman girl myself...