Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Current adventures in pop music... 03.05.06

I'm not one to usually jump on the bandwagon of whatever has been declared the saviour of music for the week, but I have taken a particular interest in Gnarls Barkley of late. This collaboration between Danger Mouse and Cee-lo Green has caused all kinds of fuss, most prominently due to the fact that their first single "Crazy" is the first song in UK chart history to achieve number 1 status purely on the sale of legal downloads. This sort of news is being seen as a revival of the single, and needless to say is probably making a slew of record company types [and Steve Jobs... can't forget Steve Jobs] very happy.

But is Gnarls Barkley any good? From what I've heard I think so. It's down the line enough to make indie kids dance, alternative radio can play it without losing cred, and commericial radio can flog it until everyone's sick of it. There's something really interesting about this particular jaunt though, as this clip recorded from top of the pops in the UK shows. This is unashamedly well produced pop, but like the Gorillaz and even Daft Punk before them, this seems to be an excercise in seeing how much they can get away with.

I for one, am quite intrigued. That, and you've just got to love a group of people dressed as pilots and stewardesses for no reason.

2 comments:

jazqer said...

bah! I hate that 'crazy' song... pile of steaming shite!

Daniel Green said...

It took a while to grow on me, but it's slowly found its way on to my mini disc player. It's definitely not deep music, it is very much what it is, but I guess I just like that the fact they're aware of how much hype they're generating, and they're having fun with that. As you know, I love a good alter ego.